NBOs plot

NBOs plot

Postby Raxonan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:27 pm

I am trying to plot NBOs of a RuII complex using Chemcraft, but it seems to be something wrong with file .37 since when I try to plot I get an index error. I tried to plot just .31 and some other files like .32 .33 etc. and everything works fine. What can be going on?

I checked the output file of the NBO calculation and found that altough I have five NH3 molecules bonded and a organic ligand bonded to the Ru atom, there are only two bonding orbitals between Ru and the ligands (one Ru-NH3 and the Ru-L) can this be the source of the problem?

Also when I performed the same calculation but with RuIII there was no such problems.

Thank you for your attention,
Tiago
Raxonan

Re: NBOs plot

Postby ericg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 am

Do you get an index error while trying to plot in Chemcraft? If so, I suspect that this is a Chemcraft problem, not an NBO one.

Eric
ericg

Postby Raxonan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:13 am

Thank you Eric,

I sent this to the Chemcraft team.

But shouldn't be one bonding orbital for each of the ligands? I believe that this can be the cause of the index error.

Tiago
Raxonan

Postby ericg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:20 am

Not necessarily. There are often fewer M-L bonds than there are ligands L in the natural Lewis structure. Maintaining the orthogonality of the bonding hybrids on the metal center often prevents NBO from identifying one bond per ligand.

Eric
ericg

Return to General NBO Discussion